Please note: The Application will be down for maintenance July 27 - August 14, 2017.
The Application Process
- Select the program to which you would like to apply. View our complete list of graduate programs and visit the Before You Apply section.
- Review the program's admissions requirements and deadlines to understand the documentation that you need to submit and by when you need to submit it.
- Complete an online graduate application. See the Step-by-Step Guide to Applying.
- Pay the non-refundable $75 application fee and visit the After You Apply section.
Admissions Documentation Required by the Graduate School
The following items are required for a complete application.
International Academic Credentials
You must upload an official copy of ALL previous degrees/diplomas and transcripts issued in the original language with a literal English translation.
Evidence of English Proficiency
The Graduate School's detailed English language proficiency requirements can be found here, including the list of countries exempted from the TOEFL, IELTS or PTE.
Please be advised:
- The Department of Communication requires all non-native English-speaking students (including students with prior U.S. degrees) to submit TOEFL, IELTS or PTE scores.
- The School of Music requires all non-native English-speaking graduate students to submit an TOEFL, IELTS or PTE score sufficient for full admission to be scheduled for an audition. Only students who have earned an undergraduate degree from an institution in the United States or another approved English-speaking country will be exempt from submitting a TOEFL, IELTS or PTE score.
Academic Department Approval
Each program or department may require that additional information be submitted with your application (e.g., an essay, a résumé, GRE scores, letters of recommendation). Be sure to review the Admissions Requirements site and contact the graduate program to which you are applying for information about additional admissions requirements.
The Admissions Process
Once you have submitted your application, it will first be reviewed by the program or department to which you have applied. If the program/department recommends you for admission to the Graduate School, your file will then be forwarded to the Graduate School for further verification of your academic record, and TOEFL or IELTS scores (if necessary).
When the Graduate School has made a final decision, you will receive an email notice informing you to log back into your graduate application to view the decision letter. IMPORTANT NOTE: If you choose to “opt out” of receiving emails from the Graduate School, you will not receive this notice.
If you have been admitted and you are not a US citizen or permanent resident, the Office of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) will contact you to verify your visa status and to collect the financial documents required to receive Form I-20 or DS-2019, which you will need in order to obtain a student visa. Please wait a minimum of 48 hours after notification of your admission to the Graduate School to receive communication from ISSS.